One of our favorite Star Trek inspired drinks, the Samarian Sunset. This recipe is curated from Liquor.com.
“Conundrum,” the episode of “Star Trek: The Next Generation” in which everyone gets their memories erased and Data thinks he’s a bartender, is one of the series’ best. He makes this drink for Troi after losing a game of 3-D chess. It goes from clear to green to red in the blink of an eye. We don’t yet have the technology to recreate that marvel, but we can mimic it using a trick with red-cabbage-infused rum. The drink will turn from purple to red with the addition of the fruit juices.
INGREDIENTS IN THE SAMARIAN SUNSET COCKTAIL
HOW TO MAKE THE SAMARIAN SUNSET COCKTAIL
- Chill a large snifter with ice and set aside.
- Add the white rum, cabbage rum, triple sec and simple syrup to a shaker with ice, and shake vigorously for 15 seconds.
- Strain into the chilled snifter.
- Add 3 oz sparkling water.
- In a separate container, combine 3/4 oz grapefruit juice and 1/2 oz lime juice. Pour the juice into the snifter.
- Add 1 pinch salt.
*Cabbage rum: Combine 1/2 head purple cabbage, chopped, with 4 oz white rum in a blender, and blend on high until smooth. Strain using a fine-mesh strainer. Makes 4 oz.